Every year all over Crete we celebrate Assumption of Mary on 15th of August. It is a tradition to visit Churches & Monasteries that are devoted to “Panagia”, having as incentive to fulfil a “Tama” or to ask for Her Favour to accompany us in everyday’s matters.
Part of these celebrations are local fests – Panigiria!
Almost every night from 1st until 15th of August you may find a local fest devoted to Panagia’s Celebrations: Their features are:
- Local Cretan Music is presented
- The entrance fee includes local food and sometimes raki & krasi
- It is an opportunity to get familiar with the locals
- You can learn how to dance without feeling ashamed.
- Last but not least you come accross with cretan culture and living habits!